For thousands of children in Indianapolis, the first day of school will be long on excitement but short on supplies. Many of our children in Indianapolis live in poverty and start school without the basic tools essential to their success. To help provide some of the necessary supplies students need to get started, local organizations, schools and businesses have joined forces.
BackPack Attack is a partnership among IUPUI, the YMCA of Greater Indianapolis, The Children's Museum of Indianapolis, UPS, and Indiana Members Credit Union. These partners work year round to recruit 300 businesses from the Indianapolis area to conduct employee drives within their businesses.
2013 Important Dates
- June 24 – Kickoff Event
- June 24-July 9 – BackPack Attack collection drive
- July 22-August 2 – BackPack warehouse sort and gather
- August 3 – Public distribution
BackPack Attack highlights through the years
- distributed over 100,000 backpacks
- gave supplies to every Indianapolis Public School
- gave supplies to over 40 nonprofits working with mentoring and education
- started classroom makeover grants